Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Social Networking Sites

Facebook
Target audience: Just about anyone, but geared more towards older teens and adults
Pros: Clean interface, fairly simple to use and customize, just about everybody uses it
Cons: No real control in terms of color scheme
Impressions: This is the only social networking site I actually use for the reasons mentioned in the pros. I don't care for all the buttons and games and random spam these games generate, but it's convenient for at least knowing that people from elementary school still exist.

MySpace
Target audience: Younger teens
Pros: Lots of customization options, color scheme changing available
Cons: Color scheme changing available
Impressions: I have never used this site and I never plan to. Just because there are options to change the color scheme of a page does not mean that the colors should be changed in such a way that even a unicorn would vomit at the sight of it.

Friendster
Target audience: Just about anyone (similar to Facebook)
Pros: Lots of easy customization options
Cons: Not very relevant in America compared to Facebook
Impressions: I haven't had much experience with this site, but it seems fairly similar to Facebook aside from not having as many people. Supposedly, the site is incredibly popular in Asia and is synonymous with the concept of social networking there.

LinkedIn
Target audience: Professionals
Pros: More professional/business-like for finding employers/employees, more customization options for finding business news relevant to you and your contacts
Cons: Less casual, fewer customization options for personal pages
Impressions: I haven't had much experience with this either, but I do plan to make a complete profile on this site once I have more time to.

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty much on the same page as you. I don't really know anything about Friendster and I don't have much experience with LinkedIn (I created a profile but have yet to add content), but I plan to use it in the near future.
    As for your thoughts about Facebook, I don't click on most of the applications & definitely don't play those games. It was really annoying getting 20 invites a day to join mafiawars. And it IS nice to know that people I knew in elementary school/jhs/hs still exist. Its interesting to see how much people change. Imagine how older members (30-40 yrs old) on Facebook feel when they find their childhood classmates; most of them got married and had their own children already.
    Oh and I never used MySpace either. I tried to but never had the patience to create a profile. I guess the target is younger teens but a lot of people use myspace to promote themselves and companies. Although I don't know who still checks myspace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is the only main social networking sites that i use as of now. And yes i agree with you there is no control over the color scheme. The only game that i am addicted on facebook is Poker. somehow i just cant stop playing that.

    LinkedIn is a great social networking sites. Because there you can make great new contact about businesses and jobs. A lot of recruiters are using LinkedIn to hire employee so it's pretty amazing. I personally too haven't had experience with LinkedIn but soon i am planning to open account there. Creating free account there is sure not a waste of time unlike other social networking sites.

    ReplyDelete